Welcome To Our Site



When You Call Yourself A True Friend - Be One!      FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DIE    They  Call For  Help  No Matter What!

Friends Dont Let Friends Die is a 501(c)(3) Non-profit organization.

Friday January 19, 2018 

Participate in our forum

Ask The White House

State and Federal Drug Laws
Regarding Death or Serious Injury

Drug Enforcement Administration(DEA)
Drug Trafficking Penalties

Patchwork of Penalties

Find your State's Statutes

Contact your Congressman
Senator or Governor

Crime Victims
Bill of Rights and Compensation

About This Site

State News



Our Children

Click on a name below to see their page


Danielle McCarthy

Christi Nowak

Anke Furber

Levi Wren

Ephrain Schultz
New York

Mark R Ellis
Rhode Island

Sean P. Efford
New Mexico

Caitlyn Brady
New Hampshire

Katty McGuire Andrea

JP Faulk

Michael Miller

Chuck Tabaka

Miranda Daly

Jamie Leavitt

Kaylin Marie Mathews

RJ Davis

Billy Grandchamp
Rhode Island

Nicholas Werhofnik

Rebecca Marks
New York

Dustin Kueter
South Dakota

Chase Denver Julian

Katelynn Porter

Tony Trujillo

Billy Joe Towle Jr.

Kelley Wilson

Rhiannon Fraser

Vivianna Satterfield
New Mexico

Kelli Laine Lewis
South Carolina

Taylor Smith

Danielle cherished family, friends and life. She had her whole life planned out; her husband, number of kids, two dogs and would be a dermatologist, a career where she could help others but have time for her family.
Christi had just enrolled in college. She just began taking First Baptist Church shuttles downtown every Thursday to befriend the homeless. Just chit chatting with them and letting them know they had a friend. In her journals, she was determined to turn her life around and she started by helping others. She volunteered often for the M.U.S.T. Ministries to help set up their clothing shop for the homeless and the children's center. She helped cooked their meals. She helped do their laundry. She wanted to go into a field helping others. She would have changed at least one person's life, for the better, when they thought there was no more hope. She didn't show up last Thursday. She died.
In the months before she was killed, 21-year-old Anke Furber had been acting scared and she seemed to know she was in danger. Several days after Furber's charred remains were discovered in a small vineyard in Norcross, Anke's mom, Ria, found a note in Anke's desk at home in Marietta. In it, Anke seemed to foreshadow her own death. She wrote, "My parents would surely grieve the loss of their wonderful daughter whose craziness would soon lead to her slaughter". Ria isnt sure exactly when the note was written, but believes it was written in a close time frame to the actual murder.
At 22 years old, Levi had goals and ambitions of being a business owner, a husband and a father. He loved his family and friends with everything in him and would do anything for you. His shyness and manners we're a shining attribute to who he was. Unfortunately, Levi befriended someone who for nearly three years took advantage of his kindness and when asked to leave his home, he killed him. If he would have just walked out the door as asked, Levi would still be here today. We'll never know all the wonderful things that Levi would have accomplished, but we know he was a "Friend" till the end.
Ephraim was 21 yrs old when he prematurely transitioned to the other side. He was a very warm hearted young man. And was always available to help friends and family. As his cousin Ben said about him: "You can lay a 1,000. on the table and know completely that Ephraim would have never taken it". He spent most of his days at Antique World in Clarence , NY which was owned and operated by his Uncle. That was my sons world. A world he will no longer be able to participate in. He is sorely missed by his family and friends.
Mark suffered a brain injury at the age of 19 the night of a high school prom. Mark died at the age of 25. Life was hard for Mark, he lived an aphasic life. Mark struggled to relearn his alphabet and to speak again. Neuro rehab, drug rehab, jails, institutions and death. Mark was disabled and a fighter all at the same time. College, heavy equipment operator, volunteering were all part of these six years. Mark loved kids and wished he had one. Due to the selfish reasoning of his so called friends, Mark will never be able to achieve his dreams that he fought so hard for. Mark's struggle is over !! PEACE..........
His friends describe him as a kind, warm hearted, full of energy, always smiling, and a very silly young man. They also said that whenever Sean walked into a room that he had the ability lighting up the room because he was full of life and energy! He loved his dad, his mom, and his sister very much. He had a very special bond with his great grandma Efford and his great aunt Charlene whom also up in heaven with him. A warm hug from Sean was just another way that he showed his affection to his family and friends
When Cayte was in the middle school she was on the track team, she was a cheerleader for the Nor-Roc Vikings, she was on a soccer team, and she loved attending the dances at the Sad Cafe. When she went to high school, all of those activities stopped. The sad reason was because she was too old. All the kids have, once they reach high school, are the woods and the homes of friends when the parents are at work. If she had activities to do after school when she went to high school, maybe this wouldn't have happened.
From her birth to her passing Katty touched so many lives. Not only did her family have the joy of watching her grow from a 6 pound baby girl to a beautiful young woman, but so many others did as well. The lives she touched are too many to fathom. Her beauty and grace preceded her where ever she went. Her heart was made of fine gold and she cared for others always before herself. She was not just special to all of us but to the Lord who saw fit to call her home at such a young age. Her mansion was ready! When we think of Katty now we all can be at peace because we know she is with her Lord, never to face this harsh world we live in day to day. She is with us always when we remember her smile, her touch, and her kind words. We all had the pleasure of being touched by an ANGEL!
We want our son's name to be Remembered and to bring hope and joy out of something that has been the darkest and heartbreaking days of our families life. JP was very out spoken and we have decided to be that way on this site and to be his voice about the drug companies and the public official's that sit back and do nothing. If we could save one person from what our family had to go Through and is still going Through, it would be all worth it We will not stop until the truth gets out. We want his memory to live on.
Time has gone by so quickly and it seems like we haven't seen your face in forever. Our hearts are broken, our tears flow so freely and our souls feel empty. Michael, you left us with so many happy memories but the memories can never take your place. We know you and your uncle Sam are saving a place for those who cherished you the most.
Two weeks before he died, Chuck called me on the phone. He was excited to tell me he was joining the National Guard. He had begun to think about being a History Teacher. He planned to attend school after basic training. He also mentioned a new girlfriend. He was pretty crazy about her but wanted to give things a little more time before making her "meet the parents". Still, we made plans to meet for lunch once July wound down. He thought we might all get together and told me not to worry, he had a job and would help pay the check. The first time I met the young lady he was so crazy about was as she cried herself senseless over his casket. She laid a broken heart chain and necklace across his hands. She wore the mating half around her slender neck. Her courage in court helped to solidify the deal that sent a drug dealer to prison. I hope she, and Chuck's other friends, make the right decision and swear off drug use so we may never see their faces on these pages.
Everyone ever touched by Miranda. This will be a tribute to the life she lived. She was the most remarkable and inspirational woman I have ever known. I was in awe of my own daughter. Even as her mother, her beauty took my breath away, and as she walked this earth from her crawling stages to adulthood her beauty from the inside amazed me. Miranda loved about every living thing and each friend she had she made her relationship with them special and unique.
Jamie was a very loving son, brother, grandson, nephew, boyfriend and friend.. Most importantly he was the best father anyone could have asked for.. Even though he was only 16 when he was taken away from us from his so called friend, he did everything for his daughter and mother of his daughter  that he had asked to marry him when he turns 18.. Jamie was the type of kid that would take his shirt off his back for anyone that needs it..  Jamie died on April 23, 2008.. If only his so called friend (29 yrs old), his mother and the other people at the home called 911 instead of waiting 3 hours, he would still be here with us today.. Jamie's dad passed away Nov 2005 and he had a hard time dealing with loosing his father and could not believe he was gone.. Well now Jamie is at home with his dad..Until we meet again... I am proud of you my son..Love you always and forever, Mommy
Kaylin Marie Mathews was born on a Tuesday March 1, 1988. Kaylin was my oldest child and my only daughter. She could play the piano, guitar, and drums and loved to sing. She had been "spinning records" the last few years and loved to mix music. She had been working as a d.j. at the time of her death and was very good. Kaylin was an only child for 71/2 years. She has one brother and one sister. She was a talented writer. She made jewelry and she could draw. There was nothing that my baby couldn't do, if she wanted to. Kaylin was left to die in a ravine on June 30, 2008. She was found on July 1, 2008. Her date of death is listed as a Tuesday July 1, 2008. She was 20 years old. I miss her every second of every day. The world lost an amazing talent and an amazing young woman. I lost a part of my heart.
R.J. was truly a blessing in our lives. He was the kind of son that most parents only dream of having. He always respected and obeyed his parents and never got in trouble. RJ was never in trouble in his life RJ always called home to let us know where he was and when he would be home. When he was missing and we couldn't reach him on his cell phone, we knew immediately something terrible was wrong. This is a nightmare that no parent should have to go through and we are living it. Our concern is not what we are going through, but what our son had to go through in his final moments of life.
William Michael Grandchamp better known as Billy, was born Nov 7,1979. HE was a only child. Billy had many friends. Billy often told his friends that his MOM was his best friend. Billy liked to collect sports attire like jerseys and sports caps.Everything he wore had to match. He was meticulous with his clothing, car, and home. Although, Billy had no children of his own he loved children. He told me his greatest wish was to find a good girl and settle down and have a family. That seemed to be very important to him. Even at a young age he had a gift with children. Billy's friends have always commented on how good he was with their children and how their children loved him. Billy was loved by so many people. He had over 800 friends and family members at his wake. Billy will be greatly missed by all his family and friends.
Chase lived life spontaneously with the freedom of a butterfly – a free spirit & soul – no one could hold him down, except his baby girl. She was his LIFE. There wasn’t anything he wouldn’t do for her, including getting clean. Chase was clean 1.5 yrs, after 6 months in residential rehab in New Orleans, continued with NA meetings, substance abuse group counseling, and sought out a Navy recruiter who told him all he would have to do to be eligible. He seemed to be on his way, until he fell off the wagon 12 days out of jail. Turning to heroin again to deal with stress was the mistake of his life. “Chase’s Story” is shared with you on his main page. Thanks for taking time to read it. Sincere and heartfelt thanks to the FDLFD Family for taking us under their wings. “They will sing me to them, and I will hear.” ~RIP Chase~4evrYng~1985-2009
Katelynn Lillian Porter, 16, of West Elgin, was killed in a car crash on Dunborough Rd. in Elgin County. “In loving memory of Katelynn Porter. 12/12/09. 9:40 p.m.” is written between two hearts on the roadside memorial, a makeshift cross. Porter was a student at West Elgin secondary school, where officials are trying to come to grips with the news of her death, especially so close to Christmas.
Tony passed away 10 days after his 16th birthday. He asked permission to spend the night at his friends and I told him yes. I told him" I love you" and he replied "I love you too Mom. Tony was the kid who wanted to make everyone laugh. He had such a wonderful sense of humor and a big heart. He would talk to his friends for hours trying to help them solve their problems. He was a loving big brother, and a wonderful son. He would help you with anything without even being asked. Tony was an extremely intelligent child. He was always placed in advanced classes. A week before he passed we received a letter from Columbine informing us that Tony was nominated to participate in their advanced English Program. He had a gift for writing stories.
She loved all things technical and mechanical with her older brother Ian and fashion and decorating days with her older sister Genevieve. She loved Gothic country art, the workings of the human body, video games, driving and her new tattoo machine. She loved swimming and surfing. She loved all things living and loved her dog Timpleton and her parrot Thermopolis. She had a strong heart and soul, was an independent and progressive thinker, open minded and a will power like no one else. Her favorite place to go was Barnes and Noble.
Vivianna Satterfield was 15 years old! Vivi was the type of young lady that put other people in front of herself. She would always say "Peace and Love".
Kelli Laine Lewis is my only daughter. Kelli died when she was 18 after attending a party hosted by 3 adults who offered a $5.00 entry fee to come and drink all you wanted. A pretty tempting offer for teens not old enough to buy alcohol.
Growing up – she had it all. She was smart and witty - she could come up with a jovial comeback in almost any conversation or situation. She wShe was smart and witty - she could come up with a jovial comeback in almost any conversation or situation. She was always photographing everything and always laughing. She had an infectious laugh, loud and squeaky, but incredibly endearing. Taylor was a huge fan of Tyler Perry’s Madea. She owned every play and knew every word to every gospel song in the plays. She would sing them at the top of her lungs to anyone that would listen. as always photographing everything and always laughing. She had an infectious laugh, loud and squeaky, but incredibly endearing.
He went out THE FIRST TIME to celebrate being "LEGAL" with a creep he considered a friend (even though we warned him this guy was not a true friend). My son did not drive so he was picked up about ten thirty. Even when it was obvious my son was having difficulties this creep brought him to his own house , which is 4 houses away for a few hours, and dropped him off here at home in the middle of the night WITHOUT KNOCKING OR CALLING OR WAKING US UP. We found Ben in his bed the next morning when we tried to wake him.

Click here to Meet
Our Parents



Facebook.com     YouTube.com     Twitter.com     Myspace.com

Click above to visit Our Sites

Now Available Online. 2010 National Crime Victims' Rights Week Resource Guide.  

Click on the name below to see full story

Helpful links


Untitled 1
News Paper and Video Articles  |  Find your State's Statutes  |  Failure To Render Aid  |  Events  |  Tribute Videos
Participate in our Forum  |  Guest Book 

Alabama  Alaska  Arizona  Arkansas   California  Colorado  Connecticut  Delaware  Florida  Georgia  Hawaii   Idaho  Illinois  Indiana  Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky  Louisiana  Maine  Maryland  Massachusetts  Michigan  Minnesota  Mississippi  Missouri  Montana  Nebraska  Nevada  New Hampshire  New Jersey  New Mexico  New York  North Carolina  North Dakota  Ohio  Oklahoma  Oregon  Pennsylvania Rhode Island  South Carolina  South Dakota  Tennessee  Texas  Utah  Vermont  Virginia  Washington  West Virginia  Wisconsin  Wyoming

National News:

Burlington, Vermont - February 26, 2008

Get the Flash Player to see this player.
Note: This case went to trial and was Transferred to federal jurisdiction where the minimum penalty for a drug overdose death is 20 years in prison. Gibson got 25 years.

Link to more on the story:

Man Charged in Overdose Death Under New Law

Phat Nguyen
Phat Nguyen
Jill McCarthy
Jill McCarthy
Shawn Gibson
Shawn Gibson

Burlington, Vermont - February 26, 2008

Phat Nguyen, 34, of Minnesota, was back in a Vermont court facing a new charge a little more than a year after police say he caused the death of one of his best friends.

That friend was Daniel Bendz of Hinesburg. Police say Bendz died of a drug overdose a few hours after his 30th birthday party, when he got drunk and took three powerful oxycontin painkillers that were a gift from his pal, Nguyen.

Nguyen initially faced several charges including dispensing a regulated drug which carried a maximum penalty of only 3 years. But prosecutors dropped that charge Tuesday in favor of a new law that carries a penalty of up to twenty years.

"The charge today is dispensing a regulated drug with death resulting which covers any regulated drug including heroin or oxycontins," said Chittenden Deputy Prosecutor Justin Jiron.

Lawmakers passed the law in response to the highly-publicized death of Jill McCarthy, 22. Seven years ago she died of an overdose with heroin provided by her friend Shawn Gibson. He was initially charged under Vermont's manslaughter law. But there were also other problems with the manslaughter law when applied to drug overdose cases.

"The new charge dispensing with death resulting, it's a simpler standard of proof that the state has to prove in order to prevail in the case. Basically, the state has to show that a person knowingly distributed drugs to another person and the person then died as a result," explained Jiron. "So we don't have to show that that person was a vulnerable person. We don't have to show that the defendant knew that the drug was particularly dangerous; just that they knew that they were a regulated drug when they gave them to the person who then dies. So it's simpler, I think, then manslaughter would be."

Nguyen now faces up to 20 years if convicted under Vermont's new state law. But that's only the beginning of his problems.

"Phat Nguyen has been indicted on conspiracy charges relating to a federal investigation of a drug distribution ring in Minnesota," said Jiron. "I think it was January 24th when he was arrested, of this year."

On the federal investigation, he could face up to life in a federal prison on the new conspiracy indictment if convicted.

Nguyen denied the new Vermont charges. He was released on conditions pending trial. He was permitted to return to Minnesota where he must reside on pre-trial conditions set in his federal case.

As for the Shawn Gibson case that triggered the law change in Vermont, that was transferred to federal jurisdiction where the minimum penalty for a drug overdose death is 20 years in prison. Gibson got 25 years.

Brian Joyce - WCAX News

November 27, 2008

Charged under a criminal statute commonly referred to as the Len Bias law, named for a former Maryland basketball star who died of a cocaine overdose.

Testimony heard in drug case

By Bob Petrie and Eric Litke
Sheboygan Press staff

The attorney for a 24-year-old Town of Sheboygan woman accused of providing methadone to a friend who fatally overdosed on the drug said Wednesday that prosecutors failed to provide evidence that Noel E. Tenpas delivered the drug to the victim.

"There is a requirement that there be a delivery (of methadone) here and I don't think there was a delivery," said Richard Hahn, who is representing Tenpas in her criminal case.

A preliminary hearing Wednesday to determine if there was enough evidence to have Tenpas bound over for trial was continued by Judge Gary Langhoff after 45 minutes of testimony. The hearing will resume at 2:30 p.m. on Dec. 5.

District Attorney Joe DeCecco said he requested the continuance because he said post-mortem blood results on the victim, Amy L. Gockman, 33, were not complete Wednesday. He declined to comment further on the case.

Tenpas, of N6115 Woodland Road, is charged with felony first-degree reckless homicide in a case that is a legal first for Sheboygan County. If convicted, she could face up to 25 years in prison.

Tenpas is alleged to have provided methadone to Gockman on Nov. 14, shortly before the Sheboygan woman passed out on the front porch of a south-side home. Gockman died the next morning at Aurora Sheboygan Memorial Medical Center.

The preliminary hearing is a procedural step and requires a lower standard of proof than the "beyond reasonable doubt" required at trial. Tenpas remains in jail in lieu of a $75,000 cash bond.

During Wednesday's hearing, Detective Matt Walsh of the Sheboygan Police Department said that Tenpas initially told him on Nov. 14 that she didn't know where Gockman got the methadone. During a second interview the next day, Walsh said Tenpas changed her story, telling him that she took 80 milligrams of the drug, Gockman took 40 milligrams and another person consumed 10 milligrams. Gockman then mixed the last 20 milligrams with water and drank it.

Walsh testified that Tenpas was with Gockman for about four hours before taking her to a hospital, trying to keep her awake by slapping Gockman in the face, throwing water in her face and having a 6-year-old girl scream at Gockman.

Tenpas is being charged under a criminal statute commonly referred to as the Len Bias law that was passed in Wisconsin in 1989. DeCecco said earlier this week that this is believed to be the first time it has been used in Sheboygan County to charge someone with providing drugs that resulted in the user's death.

A criminal complaint said Tenpas gave Gockman 60 milligrams of methadone — a narcotic drug used to treat withdrawal and dependence on heroin — and Gockman ingested some by using a syringe and some by mixing it with water. Tenpas also had provided Gockman with methadone in the past, but the woman typically took a dosage of about 40 milligrams, the complaint said.

Hahn contends that the two women jointly shared the methadone.

"When someone brings a marijuana cigarette to a party and shares it with someone else, that's not delivery," Hahn said.

Methadone acts on certain receptors in the brain, similar to heroin, and can produce many of the same effects, experts say.
Charged under a criminal statute commonly referred to as the Len Bias law, named for a former Maryland basketball star who died of a cocaine overdose.

Criminal Complaint PDF

Sheboygan woman charged in drug death

November 18, 2008

Sheboygan Press staff

A 24-year-old Sheboygan woman was charged Tuesday with first-degree reckless homicide for allegedly giving methadone to a woman who died after overdosing on the drug.
Noel E. Tenpas, of N6115 Woodland Road, could face up to 25 years in prison, if convicted of the rarely invoked felony.

Tenpas is charged in the death of Amy L. Gockman, a 33-year-old Sheboygan woman who died early Saturday morning, police said. A criminal complaint said Tenpas brought methadone to at a home in the 2300 block of South 15th Street after she and Gockman, who were friends, talked about getting high.

Tenpas gave Gockman 60 mg of methadone — a narcotic drug used to treat withdrawal and dependence on heroin — and Gockman ingested some by using a syringe and some by mixing it with water, the complaint said. Tenpas told police she had also provided Gockman with methadone in the past, but the woman typically took a dosage of about 40 mg, the complaint said.

Methadone acts on opioid receptors in the brain, similar to heroin, and can produce many of the same effects, experts say. The complaint said Tenpas was previously on a methadone program but had quit a year ago.

Tenpas is charged under a criminal statute commonly referred to as the Len Bias law, named for a former Maryland basketball star who died of a cocaine overdose in 1986. It was passed in Wisconsin in 1989, but DeCecco said this is believed to be the first time it has been used in Sheboygan County.

“What you usually get (in fatal drug overdose cases) is no one talks about anything,” DeCecco said. “You don’t get the kind of evidence we have in this case. … We do have drug deaths in this county, but we can’t connect them up to anything.”

Richard Hahn, Tenpas’ attorney, said it is “unfair” to hold her accountable in her friend’s death.

“We all make our own decisions, and to hold someone responsible for your ingesting a controlled substance, I think, is very inequitable and unfortunate,” he said.

But DeCecco said the situation falls within the purview of the Len Bias law.

“The law says very clearly that if someone provides a controlled substance to someone who dies as a result of that, they are guilty of first-degree reckless homicide,” DeCecco said. “It’s a very clear law; it’s unambiguous.”

Tenpas told police Gockman passed out on the home’s front porch and then went in and out of consciousness as her lips turned purple, the complaint said. Tenpas called a friend, who came to the house and called 911 after seeing Gockman lying on the floor.

Emergency personnel arrived at the home about 8 p.m., and Gockman died at Aurora Sheboygan Memorial Medical Center at 3:30 a.m. after her family took her off life support, the complaint said.

Gockman, of 4221 S. 13th St., is a native of Naperville, Ill., who attended Sheboygan South High School, according to her obituary.

Court Commissioner Rebecca Persick ordered Tenpas held on a $75,000 cash bond.

“Someone is dead as an alleged result of her actions,” Persick said. “I’m very concerned about public safety in this case.”

Hahn said Tenpas does not have the money to post bond, adding she is unemployed and has a learning disability.

Friends Team

Friends Team

Friends Team

Friends Team

 Helpful Personal Links

 Signs of an overdose

Resources For Victims

On Grief

Random Letters



Click on pictures

Tee Shirts


Stickers Too

Wrist Bands


Made by Danielle McCarthy's Parents

We Are the Broken

 We are the broken

Our lives have changed

Our children taken,

We're filled with pain.


We look to you

To show you care.

At first you support us

Then you're not there.


We see you out

You see us too

You avoid us

That hurts too.


What did we do

For you to leave?

Our children died

Now we grieve.


We put on masks

When you are near

We scream inside

But you don't hear.


You tell us, "Move on.

Get on with your life."

We simply nod

Your words piercing like a knife.


We long to say our child's name

The one you want unspoken

So you don't call because you're afraid

Of we, who are the broken.


By: Kim Lasater

Mother of Kaylin Mathews

Copyright 2009